Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review: Love Jones the Musical

Tuesday, September 20th I attended Love Jones the Musical in Norfolk, VA. The show was created in honor of the 20th anniversary of the  classic film, Love Jones. I had a really nice time, and give it a strong B. The singing was great and if you're a lover of RnB you will definitely enjoy and respect the talent onstage. Chrisette Michele did very well and looked amazing onstage. There were also performances from Raheem Devaughn, Musiq Soulchild, Marsha Ambrosious and more. Although this show was based around the movie, it was definitely not identical. While the storyline was similar there were a few differences. I really enjoyed how they modernized it. This version included emoji references, Rihanna songs, and online dating stories. Still, there was a very mixed age crowd and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

love-jones-the-musical
We did start a few minutes late, it made the show feel a little too long for me. I also wasn't a fan of the ending, it seemed pretty abrupt. I'm pretty sure anyone who has seen it would agree with this statement.
However, if the worse thing I can say about a show is that it felt long that's pretty good. Plus it could be a personal thing. I don't care for long shows or movies, except Batman and Django. Don't judge me. I felt the judgment.
Anyway, I definitely recommend this show for individuals who love theatre, soul music and the arts. I suggest being open minded and not a stickler for the original. I've had friends who went in other cities and they feel the same way. Let me know your thoughts. Do you agree or disagree with my review? Tweet me or comment below.
<3 - @AskKirbyCarroll

1 comment: